Chronic Kidney Disease Ayurvedic Treatment
We at HimVeda are successfully treating Chronic kidney disease (CKD) with Ayurvedic medicines. The medicines have to be taken at home along with a strict diet.
Basic blood tests like serum creatinine, urea etc. are advised just before starting the medicine and are repeated 2 weeks after, with the same lab.
A mild improvement in blood tests is expected in 2 weeks. Strong results will be evident in 1-2 months.
For those on dialysis, tests can be repeated even after a week. It’s a little difficult to compare urea/creatinine levels in a patient on dialysis. So each time the tests will be done the same no. of hours before and after dialysis.
Slowly the dependence on dialysis (frequency and duration) is reduced and can also be stopped in due course of time. Recovery will be faster in those who follow proper diet and lifestyle.
So are you ready to follow the diet and lifestyle as prescribed by us in accordance with Ayurvedic shastras?
Procedure to receive treatment
You can call us on 9736853285 between 11 am to 6 pm and we will connect you to Dr Guleria . If he is unable to talk due to busy schedule, we will arrange a call back at more appropriate time.
After the discussion you can share your reports on the same no. as guided by the doctor. Once he has gone through the reports and he feels that good results are expected, an appointment can be arranged if you wish to personally come to the clinic. Or else the medicines can be parcelled to your address after a detailed discussion with the doctor on phone.
Personalised treatment approach
Each patient is different and will require a different treatment approach. The choice of medicines, dietary changes and the results expected depend on the following considerations:
- Prakriti or taseer (body type) of the patient. This will be assessed by asking a set of questions.
- Associated diseases
Diseases like diabetes, hypertension are usually associated with CKD
People of all ages can get CKD.
- Extent of kidney shrinkage
The normal kidney size is 10-12 cm. Usually kidney shrinks in CKD. The greater the shrinkage the more difficult it becomes to treat chronic kidney disease. We have treated kidneys with size as less as 6.7 cm. Size up to which we can give good results depends on the age, physical strength and other associated diseases.
- Blood creatinine levels. Our medicine works best up to creatinine level 8-10. But we have treated cases with levels as high as 15. Sometimes if due to high levels the condition of the patient is critical, we will ask the patient to go for dialysis and then come to us once the levels come down to 8-10.
- Low Hb is usually found and comes to normal once the medicine is started. If it is critically low we ask for blood transfusion at an allopathic facility prior to starting our treatment.
So there are many variables in CKD and we cannot claim to successfully treat each and every case. From time to time we will have to refuse treatments to patients if we believe it will not give much results.
What is chronic kidney disease in Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda urine formation starts in intestine itself although filtration takes place in kidneys. Imbalance of agni (fire element ) disturbs the process of formation and filtration of urine, Malformed urine leads to accumulation of wastes in the body.This unwanted accumulation is known as ‘ama sanchaya’ (toxin accumulation) in Ayurveda. This ‘ama’ accumulation manifests as –
- loss of appetite
- puffiness around the eyes
- excess water (in the later stages)
- abnormal values of Creatitnine, Urea ,GFR etc.
On the basis of different factors, damage at different levels of filtration apparatus can take place.
Diet and lifestyle:
The main aim is to increase the agni while keeping the medicines as soft on the body as possible, as kidney is an organ derived from the mother according to Ayurvedic shastras.
- Milk and milk products like dahi (yogurt)
- Seeds and nuts
- Non veg items like meat, fish and eggs
- Hot spices’ pepper, chillies etc.
- Less of wheat/ brown bread ( as it is heavy to digest)
- Junk foods,white sugar, refined foods like maida etc.
- Rice after removing starch
- Diluted lassi (buttermilk) is the only allowed milk product
- Water processed with berberis/cumin seeds
- Do not forcibly hold the urge to pass urine or stools (vegadharana)
- Avoid daytime sleep except when very sick
- Avoid heavy meals after dark
- Hot water fomentation over the kidney area is advised.
- Vajrasana (thunderbolt pose)after food